When you joined the club you all completed an online membership form. Annually you complete a new membership form when your subscriptions are due.
The declaration you sign states: "I................ agree to abide by the rules of the club."
Have you ever seen a copy of the rules of the club?
The committee has created these rules for your protection and have had then thoroughly checked. They are now published below for you all to see.
RULES OF NORTH DEVON ROAD RUNNERS CLUB.
1. The Club shall be called the North Devon Road Runners.
2. The objects of the Club are to provide facilities for running for the members and to promote and encourage running as a sport in North Devon.
OFFICERS AND MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE.
3. The Officers of the Club shall be:
a. A Chairman.
b. A Secretary.
4. They shall be proposed, seconded and elected by ballot at each Annual General Meeting.
They shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting when they shall retire but shall be eligible for re-election from year to year.
5. The entire management of the Club (except as otherwise provided by these Rules) shall be deputed to a Management Committee (hereinafter called "the Management Committee").
6. The Management Committee shall consist of all the Officers of the Club and not less than one other members of the Club, who shall be proposed, seconded and elected by ballot at each Annual General Meeting. Elected members of the Management Committee shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting when they shall retire but shall be eligible for re-election from year to year.
7. Three members of the Management Committee including one Officer shall form a quorum.
8. The Management Committee shall meet at least every 3 months during the year to arrange the affairs of the Club. Minutes shall be taken of all proceedings of the Committee and
shall be open to the inspection of any member of the Club applying to the Secretary therefore.
9. The Management Committee may from time to time appoint from among their number such sub-committees as they deem necessary or expedient and may depute or refer to them such of the powers and duties of the Management Committee as the Management Committee may determine. Such sub-committees shall periodically report their proceedings to the Management Committee and shall conduct their business in accordance with the directions of the Management Committee.
10. The Management Committee will fill any casual vacancy on the Management Committee. Any member so chosen for the Management Committee shall retire at the following Annual General
Meeting and shall be eligible as a candidate for election on the Management Committee at such Annual General meeting.
11. The Management Committee in addition to the powers herein specifically conferred upon them shall have the control of the finances of the Club, power to engage control and dismiss the Club servants and all such administrative powers as may be necessary for properly carrying out the objects of the Club in accordance with these rules.
12. The Secretary shall conduct the correspondence of the Club and shall have the custody of all documents belonging to the Club. The Secretary shall keep full and correct minutes of all proceedings and records of all competitions of the Club.
13. Neither the Club nor the Management Committee shall be liable for injuries incurred by Club members running on official Club nights or in their own time. Reference to the club's insurance may be appropriate in case of injury.
14. The club shall be deemed as non-profit making and as such any surplus income or gains shall be reinvested into the club. Surpluses or assets cannot be distributed to its members or to third parties.
15. The Treasurer shall keep the accounts of the Club and shall make up the annual statement of accounts and balance sheet of the Club to the 31st day of January each year which shall after an independent examination be printed and circulated amongst the members at the Annual General Meeting. All payments made for or on behalf of the Club shall be made by cheque, debit card, credit card or via online banking, such payments to be made on behalf of the Club by the Treasurer, Chairman, Secretary, or by such officers of the Club as the Management Committee shall determine.
16. An appropriate qualified accountant shall be appointed by the Management Committee in January of each year. The accountant shall produce an Independent Examiners Report on the annual statements of account and balance sheet and shall certify the same before it is printed.
17. Honorary Membership of the Club shall be any person nominated by the Management Committee and approved by a General Meeting of the Club as a tribute to their achievements, work for or support of running and athletics.
18. Membership of the Club shall be open to anyone interested in the sport on application regardless of sex, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or other beliefs. However, limitation of membership according to available facilities is allowable on a non-discriminatory basis.
19. The minimum age for Club members is 18 years.
20. The Club may have different classes of membership and subscription on a non-discriminatory and fair basis. The Club will keep subscriptions at levels that will not pose a significant obstacle to people participating.
21. The Club Committee may refuse membership, or remove it, only for good cause such as conduct or character likely to bring the Club or sport into disrepute. Appeal against refusal or removal may be made to the members.
22. Every member shall be bound by and submit to the Rules and byelaws of the Club.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM)
23. The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held each year before the end of April in the same year as the presentation of accounts, at such time and place, as the Management Committee shall determine.
24. Any member desirous of moving any resolution at the Annual General Meeting shall give notice thereof in writing to the Secretary not less than seven days before the date of such meeting.
25. The Management Committee shall call an Extraordinary General Meeting when any question of urgent importance shall arise and shall be bound to do so on receiving a requisition signed by five members of the Club.
26. At least fourteen days’ notice of any General Meeting specifying the business to be transacted and the day, place and hour of meeting shall be sent to every member by electronic mail or letter to their address in the Club register.
27. Subject to Rule 26 no rule of the Club shall be repealed or altered and no new rules shall be made save by a two-thirds majority of the members present at a General Meeting. Not less than three weeks written notice of the intention to propose any new rule or alteration shall be given to the secretary who shall send notice of the same to every member to his address in the Club register not less than ten days before the General Meeting.
28. The Management Committee is empowered to make, repeal and amend all such byelaws and regulations (not inconsistent with these rules) as they may from time to time consider
necessary for the well being of the Club. Such byelaws, repeals and amendments shall have effect till otherwise determined by the Management Committee or a General Meeting.
29. The annual subscription for members shall be such sum as shall be determined at the Annual General Meeting by a simple majority of the member’s presents thereat. Subscriptions shall be due on an annual basis.
30. All annual subscriptions shall be payable within one month of renewal. Any Club member whose annual subscription is not paid within the said period shall be suspended from any benefits of membership and races. Membership benefits will be reinstated from the date on which the subscription is subsequently paid but will not be backdated.
31. Every year, the Club applies for a number of guaranteed London Marathon places (herein-after referred to as 'club places'). Members wishing to apply for a club place must request an application form from a member of the Management Committee. The form should be completed by the member and handed to a member of the Management Committee before the deadline that shall be set and advertised by the Management Committee.
32. For a member of the club to stand chance of being awarded one of the club places, the following criteria must be met:
a. The member must have been a fully paid up club member for 12 months, before the date of the London Marathon in question. Priority will be given to U.K.A. membership;
b. The member must have independently applied for a place in the London Marathon in question and that application must have been rejected;
c. The member must have proof, at the discretion of the Management Committee, that they have completed three races in club colours and a member must have accumulated a minimum of 10 tokens in the calendar year preceding the application for the London Marathon place; and
d. Any member who has secured a club place in the previous year shall not be eligible to reapply.
e. In the event of you securing the club place, 10 tokens will be redeemed against your available total.
33. Following receipt of application forms (Rule 31), the member’s applications that satisfy all criteria as set out in rule 32 shall be randomly drawn, to the number of club places available, to decide the members who shall be awarded the club places.
34. Any member may resign their membership by giving to the secretary notice in writing to that effect provided that if notice be given three months after renewal in any 12 month period they shall not be liable for reimbursement of their subscription for that year.
35. If at any time the Management Committee shall be of the opinion that the interests of the Club so require they may, by letter, invite any member to resign from the Club within a time specified in such letter. In default of his resignation the question of his expulsion shall be submitted to a Special General Meeting to be held within three weeks after the date specified in such letter as the date before which he shall have been invited to resign. The member whose expulsion is sought shall have notice of such meeting and of the grounds on which it is sought to expel them. At such meeting the member shall be allowed to offer an explanation for their conduct verbally or in writing and if two-thirds of the member’s present shall vote for their expulsion they shall thereupon cease to be a member of the Club. Providing that the voting at any such Special General Meeting shall be by ballot if not less than five members present thereat shall so demand. It shall be in the power of the Management Committee to exclude such member from any Clubhouse and grounds until such Special General Meeting shall be held.
36. Any person on ceasing to be a member of the Club shall forfeit all right to and claim upon the Club its property and funds.
37. If at any General Meeting a resolution for the dissolution of the Club shall be passed by a majority of the members present, and such resolution shall at a Special General Meeting held not less than one month thereafter at which not less than one-half of the members shall be present be confirmed by a resolution passed by a majority of two-thirds of the members voting thereon, the Management Committee shall thereupon or at such future date as shall be specified in such resolution proceed to realise the property of the Club and after the discharge of all liabilities shall apply the net assets to an approved sporting or charitable purpose and upon the completion of such the Club shall be dissolved.
38. Members should not run alone, for reasons of safety.
39. Members should wear suitable footwear for the running conditions.
40. Running after dark all members must wear a reflective vest or reflective top.
(Bibs can be borrowed from the Club)
41. Whist running members are to adhere to the relevant requirements of the Highway Code.
42. No audio devices, which might affect the member’s ability to hear external sounds, are to be used when running.
43. All members must be in a fit state to run and not be suffering from illness or under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances.
44. Members will have the ability to earn tokens, redeemable against North Devon Road Runner hosted races, through their active participation in volunteering. Tokens may be earned at North Devon Road Runner hosted races, Beginners Courses, Winter Handicaps and Club Relays in the manner described below.
Caveats for 2018 only:
The amount of tokens awarded to a volunteer, are listed by category below:
45. Those members wishing to run the Barnstaple Marathon & Half Marathon shall provide a non NDRR volunteer of 18+ years to assist with the event.